To Build an Inclusive Economy Mills Jones Stresses Strong Leadership

first_imgLiberia’s Central Bank Governor has underscored the need for strong selfless leadership and bold vision to transform the country’s economy. Dr. Joseph Mills Jones said it is now time for the country to take appropriate measures to rebuild itself and grow an inclusive economy driven by Liberians—-one, he said, that creates opportunity for all Liberians. Dr. Jones made the statement on Monday, December 5 at a farewell dinner hosted in Monrovia in honor of two retiring members of the Board of Governors of the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL).Governors Mildred B. Reeves, a former General Manager and Deputy chief executive officer (DCEO) of the Liberia Bank for Development and Investment (LBDI) and David K. Vinton, a former National Bank Governor and former president and CEO of LBDI, ended their terms on the CBL Board of Governors last week after completing one and two terms, respectively.The two experienced outgoing CBL Board of Governors were praised by many including CBL staffers and other Board of Governors for the leadership role they played while on the Board. Dr. Jones, who chairs the Board of Governors of the CBL, also added his commendation to the two officials for playing key roles in the transformation of the CBL.“Governors Mildred B. Reeves and David K. Vinton are leaders and they proved their leadership capabilities on the Board of the CBL,” said Governor Jones. “Their leadership roles led to the transformation of the CBL to build an inclusive economy.”The CBL Executive Governor, who emphasized sound leadership across the country, noted there can be no successful transformation without bold vision and bold action “and this is what is needed for the growth of a strong inclusive Liberian economy… Governors Mildred Reeves and David Vinton played transformative leadership role on the CBL Board because they have characters and so they led by example,” said Governor Jones.According to the CBL boss, Mildred and David were already accomplished people before they came on the CBL Board. “And so it wasn’t difficult working with them because they knew exactly what to do to take the CBL and the economy to another level. This is because they came on the Board already prepared and accomplished,” Jones added.He insisted that institutions are built by individuals who are already prepared to lead and have the bold vision to succeed. Governor John G. Bestman, for his part, said he will miss Governors Mildred Reeves and David Vinton. The former Liberian Finance Minister, however, expressed the hope that President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf will appoint ‘experienced and accomplished’ individuals with strong character and to the task to replace the two retirees.“It was very wonderful working with Governors Reeves and Vinton,” said Mr. Bestman. “I know that they are not tired even though they have been retired,” Governor Bestman noted. Mr. Robert Sammy, secretary general of the Motorcyclists Union of Liberia in special remarks, commended the two retired Board of Governors and expressed the hope that President Sirleaf will nominate people who have the ‘common’ people’s interest at heart on the Board of the CBL.“The outgoing Board of Governors worked in the interest of the common people. They made decisions on the Board that benefitted both the minority and majority groups in the country including the haves and have-nots,” said Mr. Sammy as he bade farewell to Governors Reeves and Vinton.In brief remarks, LBDI CEO and president of the Liberia Bankers’ Association (LBA) Mr. John B. S. Davies, III lauded the CBL for exhibiting positive results and ensuring the attainment of macroeconomic stability.“It has been a gratifying experience working with Governor Jones and the retirees,” said Mr. Davies. “The journey isn’t over yet and there are challenges. But with the enhanced and robust risk management practices by the CBL, we shall surmount,” said the LBA president.Deputy CBL Governor for Economic Policy Mr. Boima S. Kamara and his colleague Deputy Governor for Operations Mr. Charles E. Sirleaf expressed their thanks and appreciation to the retirees for working to support the growth and development of the economy. “We have come to give your flowers while you are still alive,” said Mr. Kamara. “You’ve worked well for your country and people,” added Mr. Sirleaf in separate remarks.In response, the two retirees thanked President Ellen John Sirleaf for giving them the opportunity to serve on the Board of the CBL.“Serving on the Board of the CBL was a great honor for me because it gave me the opportunity to work with a very strong team and to make decisions that positively impacted the lives of ordinary Liberians,” said Governor Mildred Reeves, who served a single term on the Board.  “We must be flexible to apply our changes in the interest of our people,” she said amidst rounds of applause.The former LBDI Deputy CEO also lavished praises at the CBL staffers. “They are undeniably the best I have had the opportunity to work with,” she stated.Governor Vinton, for his part, said he was very pleased to have been a part of the reform process of the CBL.  A former National Bank of Liberia Governor, Vinton, who completed two terms on the Board, explained how the current CBL is building the economy with Liberians at the center stage of the process. “I thank President Sirleaf for giving me this opportunity to serve on the CBL Board. I also want to use this platform to thank the staffers of the CBL to continue to stay safe and stay professional,” Mr. Vinton concluded.Several dignitaries, public and private, attended the dinner. They include former Interim President and head of the Governance Commission (GC) Dr. Amos Claudius Sawyer; former Chief Justice Cllr. Henry Reed Cooper and his wife Dr. Mrs. Nadu Cooper; Ecobank Liberia Managing Director Mr. Kola Adeleke; Liberty Party (LP) political Cllr. Charles Brumskine and Mrs. Brumskine; and Montserrado Senatorial aspirant Mr. Christopher Neyor, amongst others.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

"To Build an Inclusive Economy Mills Jones Stresses Strong Leadership"

CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN – THE PICTURE THAT SEALS THE 20 YEAR SEARCH TO RECLAIM SAM

first_imgThe picture may look simply like two young boys posing happily for a picture with Donegal’s legendary All-Ireland captain Anthony Molloy.But on closer inspection it tells the story of two generations of GAA player – both in search of Sam Maguire.That’s because the little boy with the cheeky smile on the left is a certain Michael Murphy. Now just four days from leading his team into only their second ever All-Ireland final, the young Glenswilly lad looks no more than eight years old.And yet locals in The Glen say the young boy with the stocky shoulders was already eating, drinking and sleeping football.Molloy, McHugh, Boyle, Gavigan, Walsh, Reid and the likes were already his heroes.In his 23 years he has dreamt of one day lifting the GAA’s most famous piece of silverware high above his head. And now this Sunday he has the opportunity to emulate those names already etched in the history books.All of Donegal awaits……. CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN – THE PICTURE THAT SEALS THE 20 YEAR SEARCH TO RECLAIM SAM was last modified: September 19th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ALL-IRELAND FINALAnthony MollowCroke ParkdonegalMichael Murphylast_img read more

"CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN – THE PICTURE THAT SEALS THE 20 YEAR SEARCH TO RECLAIM SAM"

Sebastian Vettel must handle pressure better to beat Lewis Hamilton in 2018

first_imgFerrari driver Sebastian Vettel must handle pressure better if he wants to wrestle the Formula One title back from Lewis Hamilton.Vettel should be kicking himself after missing out on a fifth F1 title. He lost his way in September and never regained the momentum as Hamilton went on to earn his fourth title, and third in four seasons with Mercedes.Hamilton’s winning margin of 46 points over Vettel does not reflect an often tense title battle, one in which Ferrari had a genuine chance of breaking Mercedes’ stranglehold until Vettel’s alarming dip.”I’m very hungry for next year,” Vettel said on Sunday after the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. “For the team it’s flat out from now.”It’s back to the factories until the cars are rolled out again for preseason testing in late February. The season begins with the Australian GP on March 25.Vettel has been fair play in defeat and has detailed why he thinks Mercedes was the superior team.”Look at the amount of pole positions, of race wins. Overall, we were not quick enough. Simple as that,” he said. “In the end you can break it down to a lot of details, this and that, but overall the package wasn’t good enough.”It is a somewhat convenient argument, too, for statistics tell only part of the story.Chasing its first drivers’ title since 2007, Ferrari was faster than Mercedes several times. The huge speed advantage Mercedes enjoyed since new engine changes came into play in 2014 was wiped out by Ferrari this year.advertisementThe uncomfortable conclusion is that Vettel self-destructed when poised to crank the pressure up on Hamilton.For all of his experience – 47 wins from nearly 200 races – Vettel is still prone to emotional swings that undermine him. He showed glimpses of that when bickering with his former Red Bull teammate Mark Webber and with Red Bull driver Max Verstappen last year.After the Azerbaijan GP in June, Hamilton publicly spoke about Vettel’s vulnerability under pressure as something he could exploit.Vettel played a very weak hand in Baku.Irritated by what he perceived to be Hamilton’s deliberately slow driving behind a safety car – known in F1 as backing up – he accelerated alongside the British driver and then inexplicably swerved into the left side of his Mercedes.It was a clear error of judgment and Vettel subsequently apologized for dangerous driving. The two exchanged heated barbs afterward.Vettel’s red mist that day was as bright as his gleaming Ferrari.He escaped with a time penalty when a one-race ban was spoken of. The penalty itself was damaging, however, since it prevented him from finishing higher than fourth and so valuable points were needlessly lost.A second and momentous mistake from Vettel came at the Singapore GP. It perhaps defined the season itself.Before the race, Vettel was only three points behind Hamilton in the championship with seven races remaining. He was inspired in qualifying and took pole position on the sinewy street circuit. Better still, Hamilton was starting from fifth on the grid.It was the perfect scenario for Vettel to both regain the lead and pad it out at the next race in Malaysia – another track suited to Ferrari.A few seconds later, jaws were dropping and eyes bulging in the Ferrari garage – but for all the wrong reasons.Vettel went diagonally across the track to cut off Verstappen, starting from second. A four-car collision ensued that took them both out, along with Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen and McLaren’s Fernando Alonso.With 25 points beckoning, on a track where no F1 driver has more podiums than him, Vettel scored none. The nightmare scenario concluded with Hamilton profiting from the chaos to win.It was a total gift, but somehow Vettel minimized the incident and the team spared him justifiable reproach.F1 observers pointed to Vettel’s previous verbal spats with Verstappen. In theory, he simply could not accept losing ground to Verstappen even though the Dutchman was not a title threat.While Hamilton strengthened his title bid Vettel went out of his way – literally – to undermine his own.Vettel will need to think twice if the red mist starts descending next year.last_img read more

"Sebastian Vettel must handle pressure better to beat Lewis Hamilton in 2018"

CMHI Lays Keel for SunStone Ships Expedition Cruise Vessel

first_imgzoomImage Courtesy: CMHI Shipbuilder China Merchants Heavy Industry (CMHI) held a keel laying ceremony for a new expedition cruise vessel, being built for Miami-based SunStone Ships on June 12.With a Polar Class 6 notation, the vessel, named Greg Mortimer, is being constructed at the China Merchants Heavy Industry (CMHI) yard in Haimen.Featuring a length of 104.3 meters and a beam of 18.4 meters,t he vessel will be operating for Aurora Expeditions.The ship can accommodate a total of 255 persons, including crew. For expedition cruises in the polar regions, the vessel will take on 120 passengers.Norwegian ship designer Ulstein designed the polar class, X-BOW expedition cruise vessel, and provided the equipment package for one vessel and options for additional nine units.The equipment package includes the bridge system, ULSTEIN COM and integrated automation system ULSTEIN IAS and ULSTEIN POWER, and site team support to ensure the vessel delivery time.last_img read more

"CMHI Lays Keel for SunStone Ships Expedition Cruise Vessel"