first_imgTáin (Ulster) Hurling League FinalSt. Eunan’s 2-14Pearse Óg (Louth) 0-8 St. Eunan’s senior hurlers took the Táin (Ulster) League Division 4 title with a victory over Louth champions Pearse Óg on Saturday in Garvaghy, Co. Tyrone.The Dundalk team started as favourites and moved into an early three point lead as St. Eunan’s struggled to get into the game, with a point from David Mahony and two Gary O’Brien frees.St. Eunan’s suffered a further blow with the early loss of full forward Colm Breathnach through injury. Only strong defensive work from Francis Lennon, Eunan O’Donnell and Cormac Goulding kept the Donegal team in touch.Three Seán Mc Veigh points and a score by Dungloe man Cormac Hartnett in reply to strikes from O’Brien and Brian McCabe brought St. Eunan’s level after 20 minutes. The Letterkenny men finished the half strongly and good work by Dan O’Connor and Adie Gaffey led to two more McVeigh scores. This left a two point gap between the teams at half time, 0-7 to 0-5.Immediately after the restart O’Brien broke through on the Letterkenny goal but shot wide under pressure from corner back Shane O’Connor and goalkeeper Lee Scanlon.This proved to be a turning point as St. Eunan’s quickly shot three points through Kevin Meehan, James Connors and Conor McVeigh. Pearse Óg struck back with scores from Mahony and a Gerard Smyth free.These were to be the last scores for the Louth men as the St. Eunan’s defence continued its dominance. The Donegal team took control around midfield at this stage, with Eugene Organ outstanding in winning high ball.The contest was effectively decided in a two minute spell when a point from St. Eunan’s midfielder Colm Flood was followed by Seán McVeigh finishing a 20 metre free to the net on 47 minutes. In the closing stages McVeigh and Connors added further points. The best score of the game came in injury time when Seán McVeigh won possession 40 yards from goal, passed two defenders and beat the Pearse Óg goalkeeper with a superb finish. This left a flattering twelve point margin at the final whistle.St. Eunan’s: Lee Scanlon, Francis Lennon, Eunan O’Donnell, Shane O’Connor, Dan O’Connor, Adie Gaffey, Cormac Goulding, Colm Flood (0-1), Seán McVeigh (2-7), Eugene Organ (0-1), Kevin Meehan (0-1), Conor McVeigh (0-1), James Connors (0-2), Colm Breathnach, Cormac Hartnett (0-1). Subs: Eoin Friel (3 mins), Mark Timoney (40 mins), Darragh Kerrane (52 mins), Pádraig Dwyer (53 mins), Stephen Doherty (56 mins), Paddy Flood, Michael McGrath, Jack Brennan, Conor Parke, Derek Kelly, John Ireland.Pearse Óg: Barry Myles, Matthew Myles, David Mulholland, Noel Callan, Brian Hassett, Donal McArdle, Andrew McCrave, Gerard Smyth (0-1), Shane Callan, Donnach Callan, David Mahony (0-3), Brian McCabe (0-1), Gary O’Brien (0-3), Ken O’Hagan, Aidan Callan. Subs: Gerry Hoey, Martin Myles, Matthew Boland, Paul Grimes, Richard Scanlon, Philip McFaul, Andrew McDermott.CHAMPIONS! ST EUNAN’S HURLERS TAKE ULSTER TITLE IN LEAGUE FINAL was last modified: April 28th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:CHAMPIONS! ST EUNAN’S HURLERS TAKE ULSTER TITLE IN LEAGUE FINALlast_img read more