Help by sharing this information IraqMiddle East – North Africa Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” December 28, 2020 Find out more After learning of the kidnapping of Al-Dawa reporter Karim Sabri Sharar Al-Rubai and the murder of freelance photographer Munjid Al-Tumaimi, Reporters Without Borders today appealed again to the Iraqi authorities to take concrete measures to protect media personnel.“No less than eight media personnel have been killed since the start of the year,” the press freedom organisation said. “The international public is less aware of the kidnappings because they affect local journalists, but they are no less deadly for that. There are a total of seven kidnap victims at the moment about whom there is no news.”Reporters Without Borders added: “We will not give up demanding proper investigations to identify those who are murdering and abducting journalists, and to put an end to the climate of complete impunity prevailing in Iraq.”Rubai was kidnapped on 11 January by gunmen who forced their way into his Baghdad home and took him away. His family has still not received any word of his fate. His newspaper, Al-Dawa, is the mouthpiece of the Islamic Dawa Party, a Shiite party.Tumaimi was gunned down in Najaf (160 km south of Baghdad) on 28 January as he tried to take pictures in the city’s hospital of people who had been killed or injured in the course of clashes near Najaf with more than 300 casualties. His killers, who were not identified, took his camera and mobile phone.Reporters Without Borders offers its condolences to the family of Suhad Shakir Al Kinani, who was fatally wounded in Baghdad on 4 February when her car was caught in the crossfire during a shootout between a coalition patrol and an armed group. Kinani used to be a journalist with the Iraqi Media Network, but last September she went to work for the Iraqi parliament’s press office.A total of 147 journalists and media assistants have been killed in Iraq since the start of the war in 2003, while a total of 55 journalists have been kidnapped. Seven are still being held hostage. Receive email alerts RSF_en News February 6, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for effective protection for journalists after a newspaper reporter is kidnapped and a photographer is killed Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan February 15, 2021 Find out more News News Follow the news on Iraq RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” IraqMiddle East – North Africa News to go further Organisation December 16, 2020 Find out more
NewsConcern over cuts to children’s diabetes serviceBy John Keogh – August 7, 2014 723 Previous article650 fish killed in slurry spillNext articleRegen residents haul Government to court John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie SICK children’s services have seen a massive cutback in Limerick and Diabetes Ireland say children are being put at risk.The position of paediatric endocrinologist, a children’s diabetes specialist, will shortly operate on a part-time basis at University Hospital Limerick, and there is currently no funding available to recruit a second, the HSE revealed this week.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Since October 2013, a locum paediatric endrocrinologist had been operating on a full-time basis, as UL Hospitals were unable to recruit a part-time locum to provide maternity cover.Since the professor of paediatrics has now returned from maternity leave, the locum contract has ended and the post will revert to a part-time position.In addition, the part-time consultant is to be shared with Galway as part of the implementation of plans which ensures that all children under five have access to insulin pump therapy.Diabetes Ireland says that children’s diabetes services in Limerick improved dramatically while there was a full-time paediatric endocrinologist in place, and they are concerned that the level of care will now deteriorate.Dr Anna Clarke of Diabetes Ireland said: “At minimum, Limerick and Galway need a part-time post in each hospital to support this. Cutting the Limerick service medical support to a fifth will put children’s health at risk on a daily basis and we end up spending more on inpatient treatment and long-term complications. Our children deserve better.”Diabetes Ireland is now calling on local TDs to bring the issue to the immediate attention of hospital management, the HSE and the Department of Health.The group says that during the last year “there was a fivefold increase in care and support” and patients had received quarterly medical appointments.Children with type 1 diabetes need three-monthly reviews to ensure their growth and development.According to Diabetes Ireland, a part-time consultant could not possibly review the 250 children attending Limerick four times a year.A spokesperson for UL Hospitals told the Limerick Post: “UL Hospitals recognise that patients may see some slight change in service following the return of the paediatric endocrinologist role from full-time to part-time.”The spokesperson added that the hospital recognises the need for an additional paediatric endocrinologist in the Mid West and West Region, but that a funding application for 2014 was unsuccessful.A further application is expected to be made for 2015.The spokesperson concluded: “Without approval and additional resources, UL Hospitals is not in a position to recruit an additional paediatric endocrinologist at this time.” Advertisement 53 patients waiting for beds at UHL Facebook Linkedin Updated statement on service disruptions UL Hospitals Group Print SCAM ALERT: HSE warn of bogus calls following cyber attack Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email Numbers of Limerick hospital group staff sidelined by COVID-19 reduces by 162 in past 7 days 64 patients waiting for beds in UHL TAGSDiabetes IrelandHSEuniversity hospital limerick WhatsApp Joint Easter message on Covid 19 from Limerick City and County Council, HSE, UL Hospitals and An Garda Síochána
Share Share Tweet 23 Views no discussions EntertainmentLocalNews Four Golden Drum Awards and Five Special Recognition Awards to be presented at Emancipation Celebrations 2011 by: – July 22, 2011 Share In photo: The Old Mill Cultural Centre. Photo credit: travel.dominik.netFour Golden Drum Awards and five Special Recognition Awards will be presented at the Golden Drum Awards Celebrations as part of the 2011 Emancipation Celebrations this year.Awardees will be Paulette Prosper for her contribution to the development and preservation of church and folkloric choral music, Dereck ‘De Hunter’ St. Rose, for his contribution to the development and promotion of the Calypso art form, Davis Marcellin, for the preservation and promotion of Dominican Oral Traditions and Marcel Cruickshank for his contribution to sound engineering.Special Recognition Awards will be presented to Davidson ‘Observer’Victor, and Cecil ‘Checker’ Burnett for the promotion of calypso, Julian L. Benjamin for consistent involvement in the performing arts, Marcia Baptiste for Carnival Queen Pageantry, and Sakis for the preservation and promotion of Carnival Arts.The Emancipation Celebration programme begins on Saturday July 23rd with Emancipation Vibrations; a show of song, dance and drumming to be staged at the Wesley Basket ball Court from 6pm.On Tuesday 26th July an Art and Craft Exhibition will open at the Old Mill Cultural Centre at 7pm. Submission by local artists and craftsmen will be on display. The Emancipation Exhibition will be held over till the end of the month.The Golden Drum Awards ceremony and Concert will be staged at the Arawak House of Culture on Wednesday 27th July. Some of the performers contributing to the sizzling show package to be presented are the Sisserou Singers, the Waitukubuli Dance Theatre Company, Petite Savanne Cultural Group, De Hunter and the Paix Bouche Drummers.The Emancipation Hike organized by the Waitukubuli Ecological Foundation in collaboration with the Division of Culture will give hikers the opportunity to walk segment 13 of the Waitukubuli National Trail on Saturday 30th July.The Nature Island Book Fair and Literary Festival at the UWI Open Campus from August 5th to 7th will bring down the curtains on the 2011 Emancipation Celebrations. A number of distinguished writers are expected to be a part of this literary exposition.Dominica Vibes News Sharing is caring!