Former Southampton defender Francis Benali has told talkSPORT he is concerned about reports linking Saints midfielder Victor Wanyama with a move to Tottenham.Wanyama has emerged as a transfer target for former Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino after the departures of Etienne Capoue and Paulinho this summer.Southampton have already lost Morgan Schneiderlin to Manchester United in the summer window, and Benali believes his former side cannot afford to lose the Kenyan bruiser, who has also been linked with Spurs’ north London rivals Arsenal.“We have got quality players in midfield and strength in depth in the squad now,” the 46-year-old told Drivetime.“But, having lost Morgan, if we were to lose Victor Wanyama as well, that would leave a huge gap in physical presence in the midfield that would be hard to fill.”
Jose Mourinho 1 Jose Mourinho is the Happy One no more after Chelsea’s worst start to a Premier League season in 17 years.The champions go to West Brom on Sunday bidding for a first win of the season after beginning with a 2-2 draw at home to Swansea and 3-0 loss at title rivals Manchester City.“We have one point from two matches. I’m not happy at all,” said Mourinho, before listing those under-performing.“I’m not happy with anyone. I’m not happy with (Branislav) Ivanovic’s form, (Gary) Cahill, John (Terry), Azpi (Cesar Azpilicueta), Eden (Hazard), (Cesc) Fabregas, (Nemanja) Matic.“But, for me, the first thing is I’m not happy with my form, because I used to get better results than I’m getting (now).“This is the start of everything.”Mourinho, who described himself as the Happy One on his return to Chelsea two summers ago, is eager for self-improvement as well as collective.“I go to the gym every day now to get fitter,” said Mourinho, who says he went once every six months previously.“Maybe I need more action on the touchline, so I need to be fitter.”The Blues boss this week made efforts to improve Chelsea, convincing Pedro to sign from Barcelona in a one minute conversation. Pedro could make his debut at the Hawthorns.Mourinho became aware of the availability of the Spain forward on Monday and Chelsea signed him for £21million on Thursday, swooping swiftly for a player Manchester United had pursued for around a month.The World Cup winner joined Baba Rahman, a left-back signed from Augsburg, in moving to Chelsea in the wake of the loss at City.“For me, it was one minute,” said Mourinho, before recalling the conversation.“‘Is it true that you want to leave Barcelona?’ ‘Yes, it’s true. I love it here. It’s my home, but it’s time for me to move.’ ‘Did you sign already for another club?’ ‘Almost, but not yet.’ ‘Do you want to come here?’ ‘Yes, I want.’“I told people in the club ‘it’s over to you’. (But) I thought he would never leave Barcelona.”The former Real Madrid boss has acrimonious history with Barcelona.“Maybe I insulted him or he insulted me. But, for football people, that’s not a problem,” Mourinho said.“It’s a problem for non-football people. In football, people forget.”Further signings could follow, if the chance arises before the September 1 deadline.“People used to call it the transfer window. I sometimes call it the opportunity window,” Mourinho added.“While the window is open there is always an opportunity.”
Listen back to the highlights of Wednesday’s Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.Alan Brazil and Ray Parlour were joined on today’s show by Piers Morgan, Harry Redknapp, Ramon Calderon, Sam Allardyce and Mark Noble.
Charlie Austin 1 Queens Park Rangers striker Charlie Austin has been ruled out for up to a month with a hamstring injury suffered in Friday’s 4-0 humbling defeat to Fulham.Austin, who was heavily linked with a move to the Premier League after Rangers’ relegation last season, has an ‘acute muscle injury.’The 26-year-old, valued at £15m, is the club’s top scorer in all competitions this season, and will be sorely missed as Chris Ramsey’s side seek an immediate return to the top flight.Fellow Hoops striker Jamie Mackie suffered a similar fate against the Cottagers, with a similar hamstring problem expected to keep him out for up to three months.
Manchester City and Manchester United line-up for their derby clash 1 talkSPORT’s Drivetime show sees Adrian and Goughie consistently ask the hard-hitting questions in the sporting world…Today they bring you the quandary on every sports fan’s lips – United or City?Yep, that’s it.Have your say below…
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas City“We’re going to have our hands full with Arizona, a tough team,” Rockies outfielder Jeff Baker said. “We know them. They know us.” Start with their records: Arizona won the NL West with a league-best 90-72. The Rockies, who had to defeat San Diego in a one-game playoff to earn a wild-card berth, finished 90-73. Both clubs have built from within, and they’ve done it relatively cheaply. The Rockies entered the season with a payroll of $54.4 million, $2.4 million more than the Diamondbacks. Only four clubs had lower payrolls. Instead of spending on free agents, both organizations committed to building through the draft. Two of their finest products can be found at shortstop – Colorado’s Troy Tulowitzki, drafted in the first round two years ago, and Arizona’s Stephen Drew, picked in the first round a year earlier. Game 1 on Thursday night will pit dazzling starting pitchers Brandon Webb of Arizona and Jeff Francis of Colorado. Both are homegrown. “It speaks to the good old-fashioned values of baseball: scouting and player development and building from within and being patient and taking chances and things working out,” Colorado manager Clint Hurdle said after the Rockies wrapped up a three-game sweep of the Phillies in their NL playoff series. Inexperience can prove costly. But for the Diamondbacks and the Rockies, what they don’t know hasn’t hurt them. “With this team, everybody calls us young, but I think it’s the most exciting team I’ve been on,” said Drew, the younger brother of Boston’s J.D. Drew. Colorado, which lost 94 games in 2004 and 95 in 2005, posted its first winning record since 2000. The Diamondbacks went 51-111 three years ago. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Andrew Bagnato THE ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOENIX – When the Arizona Diamondbacks look across the field at the Colorado Rockies this week, they may feel as if they’re looking into a mirror. The teams took similar routes to an unlikely destination – the NL championship series.
LaBrunda told police that he choked her in his car after she disrespected him, Wheeler said. He was being held without bail in jail. Police expect to file two counts of murder for Johnson and her unborn baby within the next day. LaBrunda has a criminal history dating back seven years including misdemeanor battery against a spouse, corporal injury on a child, resisting arrest, assault and a felony carjacking, according to the Los Angeles County Superior Court public information office. —————————————— For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. NORTH HOLLYWOOD — A 33-year-old North Hollywood man is accused of choking his girlfriend — who was four and a half months pregnant — because she disrespected him, then dumping her body in an alley behind a North Hollywood house, police said this morning. Michael LaBrunda was booked into the Los Angeles County Jail on suspicion of murder in connection with the death of Alisha Johnson, 21, of Westminster, said Los Angeles Police Detective Rich Wheeler. “It’s tragic,” Wheeler said. “She didn’t deserve this. She’s 21. And like all 21-year-olds, she was starting her life out.” A resident who lives in the 8100 block of Vanscoy Avenue spotted the body of a woman laying on some tires in an alley and called police about 11 yesterday. Detectives determined the case was a homicide, and after identifying her, contacted family and friends who told police Johnson had told them that she was pregnant by LaBrunda, whom she met at college, Wheeler said. They had known each other for two years. Police spotted LaBrunda later in his Mazda 626 near Bellaire Avenue and Lorne Street, near where the body was dumped, and detained him for questioning, Wheeler said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
NEW YORK – Shares of Wynn Resorts Ltd. rose Tuesday after its board announced a $6 dividend and an analyst upgraded the casino resort company, citing a recent dip in shares. Shares gained $7.18, or 5.7 percent, to close at $132.16. The dividend will be paid Dec. 10 to shareholders of record on Nov. 30, the company’s board said. Jefferies & Co. analyst Lawrence Klatzkin upgraded the company to “buy” from “hold” and kept his $152 price target. Shares have fallen 62 percent since Oct. 2. “Recent declines in the price of Wynn stock reflect investor concerns as to the strength of the Macau gaming market,” Klatzkin said in a client note, referring to Wynn’s multibillion operation in the Chinese city. “We continue to see Macau’s gaming market to be strong and forecast it to be on track for a total market size of over $15 billion by the end of 2010.” Beyond Macau, Wynn should continue to do well in Las Vegas, and could potentially enter Japan if it wins a casino license in that country, he said. The company will likely borrow more money to finance its expansion in Macau, but even after the dividend, it will likely have “ample cash balances” of around $1.3 billion, said Morgan Stanley analyst Celeste Brown. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The former advertising and marketing manager at Highland Radio has denied that he pressurised or harassed a DJ at the station.Highland RadioJohn Clancy was giving evidence on the second day of a case of constructive dismissal taken by former afternoon show presenter Stephen Lynch.Mr Lynch, had earlier claimed at the Employment Appeals Tribunal in the Silver Tassie Hotel in Letterkenny, that he was put under significant pressure in his job weeks before his father’s death in October, 2012. As well as having the use of a company car taken from him, Mr Lynch, a father-of-three from Carndonagh, said his list of advertising clients was reduced from 29 to 15.He said he had been left with no option but to resign after his wage had been cut from €611 to €390.However, Mr Clancy, the son-in-law of Highland radio owner Gerry Rabbitte who joined the station in 2012, completely denied all claims made against him by Mr Lynch.He said he repeatedly tried to encourage Mr Lynch to improve his sales performance and offered him several ideas and ways of looking after his clients on the Inishowen Peninsula. He said the station’s Inishowen sales, of which Mr Lynch was in charge of, were in “cardiac arrest” and needed to be addressed.One included the idea of Mr Lynch taking off two weeks from his afternoon radio show to concentrate on improving his relationships with his existing clients and building new clients but he refused claiming his show would suffer.He also said an idea of having an outside broadcast featuring the station’s most popular presenter Shaun Doherty for two weeks in Inishowen was also rejected by Mr Lynch.On another occasion he picked up the local newspaper in Inishowen and went through all the adverts in the paper from businesses which did not advertise with Highland.He then suggested to Mr Lynch that they were potential sales which could be followed up on. Mr Clancy said that despite trying repeatedly to address the issue of falling sales, Mr Lynch would not return his emails for a number of days.He said his job was to drive the sales team and that in 2012, when other radio stations were dropping revenue by 9%, Highland had actually increased their sales by 8.5%.“That was unheard of,” said Mr Clancy.When he heard that Mr Lynch’s father was seriously ill, he completely backed off Mr Lynch. He added that if he realised how ill Mr Lynch’s father was then he would have suggested he take a six month sabbatical.And he denied earlier claims that he had a path worn to Mr Lynch’s door.“I was trying to help him out. I was trying to create a bit of a buzz. All radio stations were finding it difficult but I was offering to help Stephen,” he said.Mr Clancy also claimed that Mr Lynch would telephone other staff members to see if he was about and would leave directly for home instead of having to met with him.The tribunal heard the only employment contract between Highland and Mr Lynch was a handwritten piece of paper.Mr Clancy said he was not aware of the terms of Mr Lynch’s work contract.The tribunal also heard how the board finally decided to take the use of the company car from Mr Lynch.It also heard how there was a confrontation between station manager Mr Charlie Collins and Mr Clancy when the sales manager reduced the car pool from three cars down to two.Mr Collins then warned Mr Clancy not to go over his head again, the tribunal heard.Solicitor for Mr Lynch, Mr Ciaran Mac Lochlainn asked Mr Clancy if he used the pool car after it was taken from his client.He said he might use it once a week at most saying he had his own car.He added that he felt the cars were not being used properly and then introduced a log-book system so it could be recorded who was using the cars and at what times.Programme manager at the station Ms Linda McGroarty also gave evidence and refuted earlier claims by Mr Lynch that it was she who asked him to return his company car when he could not come into work during an outside broadcast in Buncrana.Ms McGroarty said she was very friendly with Mr Lynch and all the presenters but that he must have been mistaken.She said she had no recollection of any such conversation and that her first concern was for Stephen and the second was that she had to organise a presenter to fill in for him that afternoon.She told the tribunal “With respect I would not have done that (asked for him to leave the car back) as cars mean nothing to me. It would not have been something I would have said. I never mentioned car to Stephen.”The case was adjourned until October 6th next when it is expected to hear from Highland owner Gerry Rabbitte and his son Tim.FORMER HIGHLAND RADIO BOSS DENIES HARASSING PRESENTER was last modified: July 9th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Highland RadiojobJohn ClancyStephen Lynchtribunal