According to the latest World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) barometer, international tourism arrivals rose 6% in the first six months of 2018 after a record year of growth in 2017 when 7% growth was achieved.All world regions achieved strong growth in tourist arrivals in the period from January to June 2018. The increase was driven by strong demand in major markets, supported by an increase in the global economy.By region, Europe and Asia and the Pacific led growth of 7%, while Southern Mediterranean Europe and Southeast Asia had the strongest results in these regions with 9% more international tourists. The Middle East and Africa recorded excellent results with an increase of 5 % and 4%, while U.S. countries recorded 3% growth over the six-month period, driven by South America (+ 7%) and North America (+ 5%). The United States has continued to have a lot of fuel in the region and beyond.”Today’s indicators of international tourism data for the first half of 2018 serve as further evidence of the sector’s resilience and relentless growth trajectory. We continue to work with our many partners to transform this growth into better jobs, more benefits for societies and more opportunities for sustainable living and destinations Said UNWTO Secretary-General Zurab Pololikashvili.On the demand side, France, the United Kingdom and the Russian Federation recorded double-digit increases in consumption in Europe. India and the Republic of Korea drove growth in Asia and the Pacific, while the world’s highest market source China recorded similar consumption as in the same period last year.Growth prospects for the rest of 2018 remain positive, albeit at a slower pace, according to the latest UNWTO confidence index survey. The value of the index for May-August and expectations for September-December are slightly lower than the value indices for January-April.Side dish: World Toursim Barometer UNWTO
CNN said a producer and a camera operator working with Jimenez were also arrested.Earlier, as Minnesota state police surrounded Jimenez while he reported, the correspondent spoke to the officers and said he wanted to cooperate. “Do you mind telling me why I am under arrest, sir,” Jimenez is heard saying. “Why am I under arrest, sir?” No answer was audible. Police arrested a CNN crew broadcasting live from the US city of Minneapolis early on Friday while covering unrest sparked by the death of a black man at the hands of law enforcement.The crew was later released.The network posted footage of correspondent Omar Jimenez speaking calmly to police with batons and riot helmets, then being handcuffed and taken away. “Wherever you want us, we would go,” said Jimenez, who is black. CNN said in a tweet that a white reporter who was also on the ground covering the unrest was not arrested.Jimenez was back on the air later Friday after police released him. CNN said Minnesota Governor Tim Walz apologized to the network.Earlier, CNN put out a statement condemning the police behavior.”A CNN reporter & his production team were arrested this morning in Minneapolis for doing their jobs, despite identifying themselves – a clear violation of their First Amendment rights,” the network said.Jimenez was in the city covering the third straight night of unrest triggered by the death of George Floyd after he was arrested on suspicion of using a counterfeit banknote. A video taken by a bystander shows an officer kneeling on his neck as he is pinned to the ground. At one point Floyd is heard saying he cannot breathe, and eventually his body goes limp. Topics :
Topics : The development of two metal smelters by gold and copper mining firm PT Freeport Indonesia (PTFI) has fallen well behind schedule because of the pandemic-related lockdowns. The company expects them to come onstream one year late.The copper concentrate smelter – one of only two being developed in Indonesia – reached a 5.9 percent completion rate in July, below the targeted 10.5 percent, according to the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry’s mining director general, Ridwan Djamaluddin.Meanwhile, the company’s gold and silver smelter had reached 9.79 percent completion, below the 14.3 percent target, he said during a hearing with House of Representatives legislators and Freeport Indonesia on Thursday. The government, he continued, expected Freeport to finish construction by 2023, despite the company’s previous requests to extend the deadline to 2024, as the new Coal and Mineral Mining Law mandates all metal ore must be processed domestically by 2023.“We will follow the prevailing law,” Ridwan said.Freeport deputy president director Jenpino Ngabdi stated on Thursday that project contractors based abroad were unable to finish project designs, finalize prices and procure equipment due to international lockdowns.“Due to COVID-19, delays have been ongoing for around nine months,” he said. “We ask to be given a relaxation to complete the smelter in 2024.” Freeport Indonesia has disbursed $290 million for the smelters as of July, mostly for land clearance. The combined investment value for the two smelters is $3 billion.The projects, both located in Gresik, East Java, are among dozens of smelters being developed in Indonesia as the country, which relies heavily on mining for export revenue, ramps up plans to downstream the mining industry.Read also: Jokowi reaffirms Indonesia’s ‘massive downstreaming’ of natural resourcesIn May, Freeport also stated that it would operate the Grasberg mine in Papua, the world’s biggest gold mine, with a “skeletal team” after a rise in coronavirus infections in the area, according to Reuters report.
NZ Herald 5 May 2016Family First Comment: Well….. this is AWKWARD! Maori prayers could be banned from the classroom if campaigners are successful in their bid to remove religious instruction from state schools, an academic says.AUT history professor Dr Paul Moon’s comments come after a High Court judge last month threw out a test case because the parent challenging the legality of the Bible in Schools programme failed to file documents in time.Dr Moon said while that court action had failed, it would not be the last attempt to remove Bible teaching from the country’s state schools.“Banning religious practices in schools, may inevitably extend to removing karakia from schools as well,” Dr Moon said.“Should any court action be successful in achieving this ruling, an important part of the culture of our schools will effectively be banned.”Karakia are a set form of Maori words, or prayers, used ritually at significant events such as hui, tangi and unveilings.Dr Moon said any attempt to remove karakia from schools would be a breach of the Treaty of Waitangi.“Maori cultural expression is guaranteed in the Treaty,” he said.“The case being fought against religious instruction in schools threatens this very right, and is a form of cultural and religious censorship.”http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11633565
Teachers in Uganda are continuing with their strike to compel the government to implement a 10% salary increment that was promised to them in 2011.The teachers who are members of the Uganda Teachers Union (UNATU) have decided to continue with their strike after a negotiation meeting with the government today failed to deliver any acceptable solutions to their grievances. The strike began on Monday which was the official oppening day for second term in public schools.The Uganda National Teachers’ Union (Unatu) announced the strike last week to protest the government’s failure to deliver on the 10 per cent pay raise promise.The strike, although being observed in some schools but not in others, has disrupted the opening of the second term which officially started on Monday. The government has however promised to address the teachers concerns but the teachers have vowed to go on with strike until their demands are met.
Share Share Tweet 23 Views no discussions EntertainmentLocalNews Four Golden Drum Awards and Five Special Recognition Awards to be presented at Emancipation Celebrations 2011 by: – July 22, 2011 Share In photo: The Old Mill Cultural Centre. Photo credit: travel.dominik.netFour Golden Drum Awards and five Special Recognition Awards will be presented at the Golden Drum Awards Celebrations as part of the 2011 Emancipation Celebrations this year.Awardees will be Paulette Prosper for her contribution to the development and preservation of church and folkloric choral music, Dereck ‘De Hunter’ St. Rose, for his contribution to the development and promotion of the Calypso art form, Davis Marcellin, for the preservation and promotion of Dominican Oral Traditions and Marcel Cruickshank for his contribution to sound engineering.Special Recognition Awards will be presented to Davidson ‘Observer’Victor, and Cecil ‘Checker’ Burnett for the promotion of calypso, Julian L. Benjamin for consistent involvement in the performing arts, Marcia Baptiste for Carnival Queen Pageantry, and Sakis for the preservation and promotion of Carnival Arts.The Emancipation Celebration programme begins on Saturday July 23rd with Emancipation Vibrations; a show of song, dance and drumming to be staged at the Wesley Basket ball Court from 6pm.On Tuesday 26th July an Art and Craft Exhibition will open at the Old Mill Cultural Centre at 7pm. Submission by local artists and craftsmen will be on display. The Emancipation Exhibition will be held over till the end of the month.The Golden Drum Awards ceremony and Concert will be staged at the Arawak House of Culture on Wednesday 27th July. Some of the performers contributing to the sizzling show package to be presented are the Sisserou Singers, the Waitukubuli Dance Theatre Company, Petite Savanne Cultural Group, De Hunter and the Paix Bouche Drummers.The Emancipation Hike organized by the Waitukubuli Ecological Foundation in collaboration with the Division of Culture will give hikers the opportunity to walk segment 13 of the Waitukubuli National Trail on Saturday 30th July.The Nature Island Book Fair and Literary Festival at the UWI Open Campus from August 5th to 7th will bring down the curtains on the 2011 Emancipation Celebrations. A number of distinguished writers are expected to be a part of this literary exposition.Dominica Vibes News Sharing is caring!
As far as the girls are concerned, their regular basketball season is down to a few games and then they must prepare for the sectional. Their tournament will be the first weekend of February. This means they have a few games left to try to win their conference, and then it is a one loss and done season.As far as the boys are concerned, they still have 5 full weeks of basketball, but by this time in their season they know what they have. Now, can they keep it up if they are having a good season or do they have enough time to turn things around if it hasn’t been going well? For most boys’ teams, a good portion of their remaining games will be conference games.In the case of the Oldenburg Twisters boys’ team, they will try to keep their top ranking in 1A going as far as they can take it.Good luck to all area teams.
Joseph Minala does not wish to dwell on the bizarre age claim which propelled him into the headlines in 2014, but there is just no getting away from it.Advertisement Read Also: Klopp berates Liverpool bench for celebrating Chelsea’s red cardSpeaking by telephone from Suzhou, where his new team Qingdao Huanghai are playing in a ‘bubble’ to thwart the coronavirus, Minala said: “I would have had a different career (without this controversy).“Sometimes people prefer to ignore that I’m a good player and only point out that aspect of me.”FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 “It held back my career and is (still) holding back my career,” the Cameroonian tells AFP. The allegation gained traction because Minala’s rugged appearance and well-developed physique made him look significantly older. He was subjected to cruel ridicule on social media.But Italy’s football association conducted an investigation and concluded that he was telling the truth.Minala turned 24 last month and is now playing in the Chinese Super League, but the midfielder says that he cannot shake off the stigma.“I had opportunities at some clubs (to move there), but I think it didn’t happen because of this business,” he said.“This is an image that some people unfortunately have of me,” Minala added.“I had the opportunity to go to France, I had the opportunity to go to Paris Saint-Germain at the time… but it didn’t happen.” Minala was a budding star at Italian giants Lazio when a report out of Senegal claimed that he was not aged 17, as he said, but 41. Loading… Promoted Content6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Best & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?Birds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This Day6 Most Breathtaking Bridges In The World8 Things You Didn’t Know About Coffee10 TV Characters Who Were Destined To Become Iconic9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo
MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa (May 31) – Karl Kustoms Northern SportMods vied for a $500 top prize Friday at Marshalltown Speedway and Brayton Carter took home the top check in a photo finish. Brayton Carter was the photo finish winner of Friday’s Karl Kustoms Northern SportMod main event at Marshalltown Speedway. (Photo by Bruce Badgley, Motorsports Photography) Marshalltown Speedway got back to racing after having its last four scheduled events scrapped by the weather. Thirty-one cars battled in an 18-lap main event that saw both Carter and runner-up Cory Rose come from the ninth row. The IMCA Modified win went to Joel Rust, Jeff Aikey won in the IMCA Late Model ranks, Todd Reitzler went to the winner’s circle in the IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars and Shannon Anderson made a return to victory lane in the IMCA Hobby Stocks. Rose was second by inches and Logue was a close third. Fourth went to Carter VanDenBerg and Tyler Inman was fifth after starting 15th. By Joyce Eisele The final laps turned out to be a barnburner with Johnathon Logue, Rose and Carter battling it out in an epic duel. All three drivers would hold momentary leads through those final circuits, but as they crossed the finish line, the win went to Carter in a photo finish.
RelatedPosts EPL: Son fires four past Southampton Bale completes Tottenham return from Real Madrid Tottenham sign £25m Sergio Reguilon The mayor of Madrid has said the city is being considered as a potential host of this year’s Champions League final and has given the idea his “total and absolute support”.The fixture was due to be played at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul on May 30 before the Champions League was postponed in March with only half of the last 16 completed. The final last season between Liverpool and Tottenham was held at Atletico Madrid’s Wanda Metropolitano while Real Madrid’s Santiago Bernabeu hosted the 2010 decider between Inter Milan and Bayern Munich.“I know steps are being taken in this regard and on behalf of the city council, I want to show my total and absolute support for the Champions League final being held in Madrid,” Madrid mayor Jose Luis Martinez-Almeida said on Monday night to Spanish television channel Trece.Spain has been able to bring coronavirus under control in recent weeks and Madrid moved into phase two, the penultimate stage of the government’s de-escalation programme, on Monday.But overall there have been more than 27,000 deaths caused by coronavirus in the country.“I think hosting an international event like the Champions League final is very important but especially in these circumstances,” Almeida added. “What it would demonstrate is Madrid’s ability to recover in a very short time from the dramatic situation we have been through.”Almeida added that “adequate security conditions exist, we have the infrastructures and public services to host it and it would send a message to the world that Madrid, despite what we have experienced, does not give up and is back.”UEFA is yet to confirm how or if the tournament will continue, with an update expected after the governing body’s executive committee meeting on June 17.Domestic leagues like La Liga in Spain and the Premier League in England are due to finish in July, allowing the possibility for European competitions to resume in August.Tags: Ataturk Olympic StadiumReal MadridTottenham HotspurUEFA Champions League